Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Canada & St. Augustine

One of the challenges I get on my tour comes from Canadians, when I say that "St. Augustine is the oldest, continually occupied settlement in North America."
"What about Quebec City," they shout. The first time I heard it, it put me in the flop-sweat. B...b...but I don't know anything about Quebec. Thankfully, I have a smart phone.
Jacques Cartier set out on his first voyage in 1534, a full 11 years after Don Juan Ponce de Leon caught sight of Florida.
Now, the native village of Stadacona is the sight of Old Quebec today, but that village had been abandoned in between Jacques Cartier's return to France and the arrival of Samuel de Champlain, who founded l'Habitation (which became Quebec City). L'Habitation,  by the way, settled in 1608.

No comments:

Post a Comment